Ayurvedic Treatment for Cervical Spondylosis
Alternative Medicine

Ayurvedic Treatment for Cervical Spondylosis

Authored by DesiMD Team

A specific form of arthritis, which attacks vertebrae and connecting bony, and ligament structures, is known as Spondylosis which occurs mostly in  the cervical region and hence this condition is termed as Cervical Spondylosis.

It is commonly seen among people who tend to spend long hours in front of the computer or in a fixed place without much movement for long hours causing stiffness in the neck region. Hence it is commonly observed among IT professionals, teachers, receptionists, cab drivers, or a sportsperson who strain the neck muscles with limited movement.

Cervical Spondylosis patients normally complain of pain and stiffness in the neck and back, headache and sleeplessness, numbness or a burning sensation in the palm, difficulty in writing or holding objects, dizziness or nausea, ear or chest pain and memory loss. If these symptoms gradually intensify, it is likely that you are susceptible to Grivasandhigata vata / Apabhahuka — Cervical Spondylitis.

Ayurveda says vitiation of vata dosha due to change in lifestyle leads to Grivasandhigata vata. Cervical spondylitis is a degenerative condition of the cervical spine, which takes place due to reduction in the space between two vertebras, which compresses the spinal cord.


In Ayurveda, with classical and traditional Panchakarma therapies, even the chronic condition of this disease can be cured easily.  The treatment is possible in Ayurveda because Panchakarma eliminates toxins from the cervical region. Shamana, a process which pacifies the remaining doshas and Rasayana (rejuvenation) are administered to strengthen the cervical region of the patient. Ayurveda treatment does not have any side effects.

Patients with this condition should modify their lifestyle, and avoid curd, brinjal, excess tea / coffee and alcohol.

*Disclaimer: This is not medical advice. The content is for educational purposes only. Please contact your doctor for any health care issues.