Ask A Doctor - drugs effective for tooth ache - DesiMD Healthcare Services


I have always been using one side of my teeth in the lower part to eat so it seems it's becoming weak so it's really aching me and I'm not able to chew anything . what can I do or what drugs can help ? - Asked by j A on 06-Jan-2015 18:04:11

Answer Count: 2    Disorder Type: Dentistry

  • BDS
    Languages Known: English, Hindi, Arabic, Telugu

    Answered by Dr. I Vijayalakshmi Murthy on 06-Jan-2015 18:58:08

    Hello j A

    It is never too late to visit a dentist in a location nearest to you !

    Your dentist can recommend the best long term treatment options suitable to your budget needs

    as well as prescribe effective pain relief medication to solve your immediate problem.

    Usually, medicines are not dispensed in any pharmacy or chemist without a doctor's prescription.

    But for immediate relief you can take a pain relief tablet of your choice, that contains paracetamol,

    (after checking expiry dates and contraindications) once every eight hours for one or two days.

    Please avoid drinking hot liquids and avoid chewing on the painful side. 

    Take soft foods and rinse after each meal to get rid of food particles.

    Please remember to get a dental check up even after the pain subsides !




    See Disclaimer

  • Dentist

    Answered by Dr. Jyothirmai Talasila on 13-Jan-2015 00:15:17

    Hi, for tooth pain the best option is to see dentist for evaluating the cause of it so a long term solution is advised as needed for your condition. That said you can try using over the counter pain medicine and follow the directions not exceeding the daily dosage limit plus make sure you take it after meal and with plenty of water. So suggestion on this is have a combination of paracemol and ibuprofen depending in pain severity and your health condition -please check for contraindications and warnings on the pain medicine you buy.

    Again, the pain medicine alone is not a permanent fix for your condition so please take time to see dentist as soon as you can for better health. If there is I section that could cause other health issues and might become an emergency situation. 

    Hope this helps and take care of dental and physical health with routine check ups. Best

    See Disclaimer
Login to post a reply

Would you like to consult the doctor privately?

Dr. I Vijayalakshmi Murthy
Dr. I Vijayalakshmi Murthyverified Verified
BDS | Dentist
Languages known: English,Hindi,Arabic,Telugu
View Full Profile

Rs.50 / $0

voice call

Voice Call
Rs.150 / $0

video call

Video Call
Rs.250 / $0

  • Baby Teething Symptoms and Remedies

    Teething is considered an important event in the growth and development of a child. Parents most often get troubled when their infants don't have a tooth by around 9 to 10 months of age. While...
    05/05/2016 by Dr.
  • Causes and Management of Crooked Teeth

    'Do it yourself' and "avoid an othrodontist" is the new trend doing the rounds across the internet for wearing braces.  However, orthodontists are putting parents on high alert. The American...
    03/05/2016 by Dr.
  • Tackling Gingivitis

    Gingivitis is a mild form of gum disease. It is a common disease which causes redness, irritation and inflammation of the gums; and occasionally bleeding from the gums. Most people with this disease...
    01/06/2015 by Dr.
  • Dental Implant Surgery

    What is dental implant surgery? Dental implant surgery refers to a procedure of replacing the root of the tooth with an artificial implant (a metal, screw-like posts) to replace damaged or missing...
    18/08/2014 by Dr.
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

    Oral and Maxillofacial (OMF) Surgery refers to the procedures performed to correct the diverse range of diseases, injuries or defects in the head that includes the face, jaws, dentition, soft...
    11/08/2014 by Dr.

  • The answer(s) suggested above are for information purposes only.
  • If you need further help (or) if you have any further queries, please contact our Customer Care Centre +91 40 4242 8282 / +91 801 901 2308 and our doctors will try to help you.
  • In case of emergency, please call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital immediately.
  • The questions asked for free advice will be visible to visitors of this portal ( Hence, the user should not divulge and must take the responsibility to not divulge any personal identifiable information on the portal.
  • If the patient is less than 18 years of age, parental guidance is advised. We discourage (and disapprove) approaching us directly. It is advised that the query be framed in consultation with their parents. Any query from age group less than 18 years is assumed to be done in accordance with this protocol.