Ask A Doctor - I am 22 year old. I see black marks on my tooth's. kindly suggest me what sold I do and how can I keep my teeth's awesome. Thanks in advance, it will mean a lot to me. Thank you. - DesiMD Healthcare Services


tooth decay problems with me. please guide me to take the best care of my teeth's. Thank you. - Asked by M D on 14-Oct-2014 01:03:54

Answer Count: 2    Disorder Type: Dentistry

  • MD
    Internal Medicine

    Answered by Dr. Srividya Venigalla on 16-Oct-2014 01:34:24

    Coffee ,Tea, Carbonated Drinks, Smoking and Alcohol and chewing tobacco can cause staining of teeth. Also very improtant to brush your teeth twice daily along with flossing and see a dentist twice a year to keep your teeth and your gums healthy .

    See Disclaimer

  • Dentist

    Answered by Dr. Jyothirmai Talasila on 16-Oct-2014 22:30:57

    Hi, Black marks could be from food stain and it can be starting of tooth decay. If the grooves in teeth are deep it is likely to have food stains as well as decay to begin. The best care of teeth is twice daily, brush the teeth with flouride toothe paste (not over do) then mouth rinse (the one with flouride and non-alcohol based since it makes mouth dry, and sugar free) and floss. If your day doesn't permit for this then make sure u brush twice a day and mouth rinse n floss at night before bed.

    In your case please see a dentist for evaluation and treatment as needed. Yes you need to keep your teeth clean and is good you are aware of the importance of oral health.

    Hope this address your concerns.

    See Disclaimer

Replied by V M on 17-Oct-2014 00:21:06

Hello young 22 year old. The black marks on your teeth could be due to something as simple as superficial discoloration or stains from dark colored foods and beverages or from tobacco habits; it could also be hard deposits of bacteria and food remnants ( called dental calculus ) which are difficult to remove by brushing your teeth; or it could be a sign of a deeper and more serious problem of cavities or tooth decay. It is better to visit your dentist as early as possible to avoid further complications of tooth decay such as pain or swelling due to dental abscess; and gum infections due to calculus. As for awesome teeth - you can have that when you team up with your dentist, who will teach you the best way to care for your teeth and gums !
Login to post a reply
  • Baby Teething Symptoms and Remedies

    Teething is considered an important event in the growth and development of a child. Parents most often get troubled when their infants don't have a tooth by around 9 to 10 months of age. While...
    05/05/2016 by Dr.
  • Causes and Management of Crooked Teeth

    'Do it yourself' and "avoid an othrodontist" is the new trend doing the rounds across the internet for wearing braces.  However, orthodontists are putting parents on high alert. The American...
    03/05/2016 by Dr.
  • Tackling Gingivitis

    Gingivitis is a mild form of gum disease. It is a common disease which causes redness, irritation and inflammation of the gums; and occasionally bleeding from the gums. Most people with this disease...
    01/06/2015 by Dr.
  • Dental Implant Surgery

    What is dental implant surgery? Dental implant surgery refers to a procedure of replacing the root of the tooth with an artificial implant (a metal, screw-like posts) to replace damaged or missing...
    18/08/2014 by Dr.
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

    Oral and Maxillofacial (OMF) Surgery refers to the procedures performed to correct the diverse range of diseases, injuries or defects in the head that includes the face, jaws, dentition, soft...
    11/08/2014 by Dr.

  • The answer(s) suggested above are for information purposes only.
  • If you need further help (or) if you have any further queries, please contact our Customer Care Centre +91 40 4242 8282 / +91 801 901 2308 and our doctors will try to help you.
  • In case of emergency, please call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital immediately.
  • The questions asked for free advice will be visible to visitors of this portal ( Hence, the user should not divulge and must take the responsibility to not divulge any personal identifiable information on the portal.
  • If the patient is less than 18 years of age, parental guidance is advised. We discourage (and disapprove) approaching us directly. It is advised that the query be framed in consultation with their parents. Any query from age group less than 18 years is assumed to be done in accordance with this protocol.