Ask A Doctor - what can i smoker do to stop himself from smoking? - DesiMD Healthcare Services


i am xyz, male, am 26 years old - Asked by a z on 13-Sep-2014 15:07:26

Answer Count: 3    

  • MBBS
    General Practice

    Answered by Dr. Dasari Navya Teja on 15-Sep-2014 11:28:40


    We find it difficult to quit smoking as tobacco use causes addiction to nicotine in it. Nicotine is a stimulant drug and a person gets addicted to that too fast. Withdrawl symptoms are distressing and so they find it difficult to quit smoking. First step for you to quit smoking is to have a strong determination to stop smoking from inside. Reward yourself if you donot smoke for like a week/a month or more. Set a quit date so that you can prepare. Tell family and friends so that they will encourage you. Be prepared for the withdrawl symptoms and cravings for smoking and plan to cope with. Remove all tobacco products from home/car/work place or any where you used to smoke in the past. Zyban is a non-nicotine drug available to help you to quit smoking. It is available on doctor's prescription.

    See Disclaimer
  • Answered by Dr. on 15-Sep-2014 12:11:50


    You are 26y male. You are a smoker and would like to know how to quit smoking. Cigarette smoke has nicotine and like caffeine it has psychological dependence. If you have strong will power to quit smoking you can do so easily. There are no short cuts or schemes or plans that one can devise work as far as giving up smoking is concerned. You just need to give it up without much ado.

    See Disclaimer

  • MD
    Internal Medicine

    Answered by Dr. Srividya Venigalla on 18-Sep-2014 10:12:02

    You can use nicotine patches or nicotine gum to help with cravings . Your resources depend on where you live and how much you smoke.


    See Disclaimer
Login to post a reply
  • The answer(s) suggested above are for information purposes only.
  • If you need further help (or) if you have any further queries, please contact our Customer Care Centre +91 40 4242 8282 / +91 801 901 2308 and our doctors will try to help you.
  • In case of emergency, please call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital immediately.
  • The questions asked for free advice will be visible to visitors of this portal ( Hence, the user should not divulge and must take the responsibility to not divulge any personal identifiable information on the portal.
  • If the patient is less than 18 years of age, parental guidance is advised. We discourage (and disapprove) approaching us directly. It is advised that the query be framed in consultation with their parents. Any query from age group less than 18 years is assumed to be done in accordance with this protocol.