Ask A Doctor - why does my gum bleed when am brushing? - DesiMD Healthcare Services


I'm a grown up (25 years) it's been since my childhood, it's now getting worse, and I can't bite sugarcane, green raw mangoes because of the electricity like feeling when I try to.. please help me - Asked by C P on 10-Jan-2015 13:19:35

Answer Count: 3    Disorder Type: Dentistry

  • BDS, DDS

    Answered by Dr. Ramu Vuppala on 10-Jan-2015 18:53:26

    It's most probably sensitivity that matches your description. It is caused most commonly when cold foods or fluids touch the root surface of the tooth. Use anti sensitive tooth paste like Sensodyne or Colgate sensitive pro relief. But this is a temporary relief, please visit your dentist to check the underlying problem. There could one or more than one in such situations.


    thank you

    See Disclaimer

Replied by C P on 11-Jan-2015 03:43:29

thank you! your reply was very useful!

  • BDS
    Languages Known: English, Hindi, Arabic, Telugu

    Answered by Dr. I Vijayalakshmi Murthy on 11-Jan-2015 10:53:29

    Your gums bleed while brushing because there is an underlying inlammation of the gums.

    The most common reason is irritation from plaque and tartar deposits on the teeth.

    This irritation causes the gums to get swollen due to an increase in the number of tiny

    blood vessels with a thin surface layer that get damaged or torn easily.

    It results in bleeding even if you brush gently or bite into an apple.

    Brushing your teeth is not enough to remove the plaque and tartar deposits.

    Only a professional teeth cleaning ( scaling ) done by your dentist or your dental hygienist

    can remove the plaque and tartar deposits and reduce the irritation to your gums. 

    There may be many other reasons for bleeding gums; only your dentist can determine the cause

    and suggest the best remedy for you.

    See Disclaimer

  • Dentist

    Answered by Dr. Jyothirmai Talasila on 13-Jan-2015 00:07:07

    Hi, Sirry to hear that especially for your age, but you sound like you gave teeth sensitivity. I would like you to see a dentist to find a long term solution. If you gave deep bite and teeth are sensitive to cold air or drinks/food (lower front teeth) is likely needed to fix your bite given your age. Because with age teeth wear and sensitivity is common. Otherwise you need to consider long term options.

    That said, fir temporary relief you can use toothpaste for sensitive teeth like Thermoseal, Sensodyne etc apply a pea size on teeth that hurts and leave it for time specified on the one you buy. The brush normally -gentle circular strokes. Again, if there is an issue like deep bite or something that a dentist can evaluate during oral exam then you need to follow his/her advise as needed for long term results.

    Hope this is helpful. Best 

    See Disclaimer
Login to post a reply

Would you like to consult the doctor privately?

Dr. I Vijayalakshmi Murthy
Dr. I Vijayalakshmi Murthyverified Verified
BDS | Dentist
Languages known: English,Hindi,Arabic,Telugu
View Full Profile

Rs.50 / $0

voice call

Voice Call
Rs.150 / $0

video call

Video Call
Rs.250 / $0

  • Baby Teething Symptoms and Remedies

    Teething is considered an important event in the growth and development of a child. Parents most often get troubled when their infants don't have a tooth by around 9 to 10 months of age. While...
    05/05/2016 by Dr.
  • Causes and Management of Crooked Teeth

    'Do it yourself' and "avoid an othrodontist" is the new trend doing the rounds across the internet for wearing braces.  However, orthodontists are putting parents on high alert. The American...
    03/05/2016 by Dr.
  • Tackling Gingivitis

    Gingivitis is a mild form of gum disease. It is a common disease which causes redness, irritation and inflammation of the gums; and occasionally bleeding from the gums. Most people with this disease...
    01/06/2015 by Dr.
  • Dental Implant Surgery

    What is dental implant surgery? Dental implant surgery refers to a procedure of replacing the root of the tooth with an artificial implant (a metal, screw-like posts) to replace damaged or missing...
    18/08/2014 by Dr.
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

    Oral and Maxillofacial (OMF) Surgery refers to the procedures performed to correct the diverse range of diseases, injuries or defects in the head that includes the face, jaws, dentition, soft...
    11/08/2014 by Dr.

  • The answer(s) suggested above are for information purposes only.
  • If you need further help (or) if you have any further queries, please contact our Customer Care Centre +91 40 4242 8282 / +91 801 901 2308 and our doctors will try to help you.
  • In case of emergency, please call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital immediately.
  • The questions asked for free advice will be visible to visitors of this portal ( Hence, the user should not divulge and must take the responsibility to not divulge any personal identifiable information on the portal.
  • If the patient is less than 18 years of age, parental guidance is advised. We discourage (and disapprove) approaching us directly. It is advised that the query be framed in consultation with their parents. Any query from age group less than 18 years is assumed to be done in accordance with this protocol.