South Beach Diet is the title of a popular dieting book, written by Dr. Arthur Agatston, Cardiologist, director of the Mount Sinai Cardiac Prevention Center in Miami Beach, Florida. Dr. Agatston, presents in this book his diet formulae and diet plan for a healthy heart. The book has sold millions of copies world over.
What is South Beach Diet?
This is a clinically proven diet, innovated by a cardiologist, helps you learn to eliminate cravings, reprograms your body and enables you to achieve incredible results. It provides a dozen interactive tools to track your weight loss, when you sign up for the south beach diet. It provides, meal plan, mobile app, weight tracker, nutrition counselling and more.
Bad Carb and Good Carb
South Beach Diet attempts to teach people a healthy way of life where the diet primarily comprises of right carbohydrates and fats. This new concept of diet eliminates bad carbohydrates and fats from food.
When food with bad carbs and fats are consumed, the person feels hungry frequently, causing them to eat more and thus gain weight. Contrarily the good carbs give you a satiated feeling and keeps you energetic throughout day, therefore helping you eat the correct diet without any side effects.
The South Beach Diet is made of complex carbohydrates like whole grain bread, cereals and fruits and cannot be compared to a simple low fat diet. Basically South Beach Diet focuses on how foods affect the blood sugar and reprogram your body, rather than just selecting few low carbohydrate foods for weight loss.
South Beach Diet-Steps
This diet is followed in three phases:
Phase 1 - Eliminate cravings; Rapid weight loss in 14 days
Duration: 2 weeks
Dietary Recommendation: Complete ban on baked foods, rice, potatoes, vegetables with high sugar content, fruits, wine and beer. However, it does not imply that one should go hungry either. It includes several nutrient dense foods to satisfy your appetite.
This is the strictest phase of the Diet Plan. It recommends small meals that are just enough to satisfy hunger and provide adequate energy for body to work. Chicken, fish, and yogurt are some food items that are given in this phase to dieters. And the good thing is that one can add almost all the banned items back to menu after 2 weeks period. Alcohol is the only exception which stays out.
Result: Rapid loss in weight from 8 to 13 pounds over two weeks.
Phase: 2 – Includes variety of delicious foods (grains, vegetables and fruits) and without any definite time to reach your weight goal.
Duration: Depends on the individual’s body type and need.
This phase sees introduction of healthy carbohydrates in the diet, along with some of the banned items from the first two weeks. The effect of the food items introduced into the diet plan is carefully monitored for its effect on the blood sugar levels. The duration of phase 2 depends upon a person's ability to monitor his/her weight and response to good carbohydrate foods.
Result: The rapid loss of weight slows down and becomes more gradual.
Phase 3 – Helps you maintain weight loss for life.
This is the final phase of South Beach Diet which lasts for the remainder of life time. By this time it is assumed that people's tendency to fall on bad carbohydrates and fats is contained and benefits of good carbohydrates and fats are so well exemplified that it would encourage them to continue on the same diet. Whenever you see yourself gaining weight, you can revert to phase 1 for a short duration to reduce it.08/06/2016 by Dr.
Paneer and tofu both are high protein foods, often opted by vegetarians for protein intake. Paneer, also known as cottage cheese is traditionally made from cow’s milk and has a fresh versatile flavor whereas tofu also known as soybean curd is made from curdled fresh soya milk.
Tofu is rich in many nutrients and has high protein content. It is very similar to paneer in appearance but has low fat, cholesterol and calorie content compared to paneer. Tofu is beneficial for those people who have lactose intolerance and cannot eat paneer. While, paneer can be easily prepared at home by simply curdling milk with a dash of lime, making tofu is not that simple to make.
Nutritional breakdown of Paneer and Tofu (100gms)
Paneer or Tofu: Health Benefits
Tofu: If you are ready to compromise a bit on taste, tofu is a better option due to its low calorie count. Tofu is ideal for people who are on weight loss program because it has low fat content and is also recommended for those suffering from heart disorders and diabetes. It is very beneficial for osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis patients, due to its high calcium content.
Consumption of tofu also helps lower cholesterol levels, triglycerides and helps restrict growth of cancer cells, decreasing the risk of breast cancer recurrence by about 25%. It is also beneficial in reducing menopausal symptoms and preventing liver damage caused by free radicals.
Tofu comes in different consistencies - extra firm, firm, soft or silken. Soft tofu has a smoother texture and is used for soups, salad dressings, sauces and desserts whereas the firm and extra firm are best for grilling, baking and stir frying. Silken tofu is best for dip and pudding and can also be well blended into smoothies for added protein. Firmer tofu has higher the fat content while the softest tofu has the lowest fat content.
Paneer can be best substituted with tofu for someone on weight loss plan. However, even those on weight loss plan should not completely avoid paneer due its other nutritional health benefits like high protein content. Consumption of paneer in moderate quantity is recommended over completely avoiding it. Both tofu and paneer have their own nutritional benefits. It is for the individual to choose the right option depending on his/her health requirement. Paneer is softer, creamier and high in fat content.
Top 6 ways to incorporate tofu in your diet: There are numerous ways to incorporate this nutritious dairy product to your diet. Some of them are:
31/05/2016 by Dr.
- Grill or stir fry tofu with small cubes of vegetables like carrots, onions and capsicum
- Use diced tofu in stews, soups, chili and casseroles
- Dip tofu into a mixture of garlic and lemon juice
- You can prepare a tofu bhurji by simply crumbling soft tofu and scrambling it along with onion, tomatoes and coriander with spices.
- Add tofu cubes in your fruit salad and drizzle a little honey on it
- Stir fry tofu till they are golden brown in color and add them to soup.
Acidity is a feeling of burning sensation with or without pain in the stomach or abdomen typically after meals or while lying down in the night. When there is excess production of hydrochloric acid by the gastric glands of the stomach it leads to heartburn and ulcers. It is commonly seen among highly emotional and nervous individuals.
It typically occurs:
- When you starve or eat in long intervals
- If you eat very spicy food
- With regular use of Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Non-vegetarian diet (fatty and spicy)
- With regular intake of alcohol
- After meals and at night while lying down
Natural tips to prevent acidity:
04/12/2015 by Dr.
- Half a gram of pepper powder with one spoon of honey – twice a day is an effective remedy for gastritis.
- Have lemon juice to relieve vomiting sensation and bloating.
- Ash gourd (boiled) with jaggary relieves bloating and burning sensation in stomach
- Chew half a teaspoon of fennel seeds after food
- A pinch of asafoetida, turmeric added to half glass of buttermilk, and half tea-spoon of fenugreek taken at night, helps gastritis.
- Half tea-spoon of cumin seeds boiled with one liter of water for two minutes, filter and drink this water instead of plane water.
- Suck a piece of jaggary after meals to prevent acidity
- Have powdered clove and cardamom (one each) after every meal to prevent acidity and also bad breath.
A blend of lemon, honey and warm water, works like magic on your health, in various ways. Drinking a glass of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of honey and half a lemon, first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, has several health benefits:
31/10/2015 by Dr.
- Aids in Weight Loss: This mixture alkalizes your stomach to help lose weight; the pectin in this concoction keeps you full and reduces the craving for food.
- Relieves Constipation: The warm honey-lemon water, when had in the morning on an empty stomach, stimulates the digestive system and aids in bowel movements.
- Aids Digestion: Helps liver produce bile to help digestion better and also the antibacterial properties of the honey protects from any infection
- Improves colon health: It helps in clearing the toxins in the colon, by cutting down the risk of cancer and other ailments.
- Boosts energy: Honey is a natural energy booster, and does not up the calories in your body. Lemon, with its refreshing flavor improves mood and kicks out the morning lethargy. It also detoxifies the digestive system.
- Clears bad breath: The refreshing lemon activates saliva in your mouth killing the odor causing bacteria and honey works as an antibacterial agent clearing the bacteria too.
To clean your liver and keep it healthy include the following in your diet:
06/10/2015 by Dr.
- Grape fruits
- Green tea
Eat soaked almonds everyday as it:
06/10/2015 by Dr.
- Reduces cholesterol
- Helps in weight loss
- Alkalizes the body
- Boosts energy
Although there is no substitute for a good diet, it is recommended that you take a high potential multi-vitamin and mineral supplement everyday.Category: Digestive System06/10/2015 by Dr.
Cinnamon helps effectively for weight loss. Boil 2 sticks of cinnamon for around 10 mins, cool it to room temperature, mix honey and consume one glass at bed time. Refrigerate the same and drink it the next day on empty stomach. (No heating required in the morning).Category: Digestive System04/09/2015 by Dr.
Dates are nutritional powerhouses and have innumerable health benefits. It provides fibre, potassium, vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of dietary fibre and contain minerals, lipids and protein.
It helps in:
20/08/2015 by Dr.
- Preventing diarhrhoea
- Improving energy levels
- Strenthening nervous system
- Boosting immunity
- Preventing constipation
Mix a glass of tomato juice with a pinch of salt and pepper powder and take on empty stomach when you experience acidity. This is a powerful antacid and prevents bloating and heart burn.
Antacids are a type of medication that can control the acid levels in your stomach.Category: Digestive System18/08/2015 by Dr.