Eating a balanced food is a must for everyone, particularly if you are a diabetic. What is a balanced diet? To follow a ratio of 60:20:20 for carbohydrates, proteins and fat, respectively is a balanced diet. A day’s calorie intake should ideally be 1500-1800 in the above referred proportion.
Eating a diet which is low in carbohydrates, high in fiber and proteins, vitamins and minerals, while avoiding fatty foods and sweets, is the best solution to stay healthy.
Quick Diet Tips for Diabetic Patients:
Fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables are recommended against dry fruits. The diet plan should include 3 vegetables and 2 fruits and some nuts every day.
- Fiber Foods: Fiber-rich vegetables lower down the blood sugar levels and therefore healthy. Some of these foods include:
o Fiber foods such as oats, barley, whole grains, millets and pulses with husk and sprouts are a healthy option.
o High fiber vegetables such as peas, beans, broccoli and leafy vegetables must also be included.
o Fibrous fruits such as papaya, apple, orange, pear and guava should be consumed. Mangoes, bananas, and grapes contain high sugar, and can be reduced.
3. Dairy Products: Two servings of milk or butter milk contain protein and carbohydrates.
4. Good Fats: Omega-3 and monounsaturated fats (MUFA) are good for the body. Canola oil, flax seed oil, fatty fish and nuts are some natural sources of these fats as they are low in cholesterol and free from transfat.
5. Avoid eating red meat and egg yellow to cut down on fat and weight-gain.
6. Eating smaller portions in shorter intervals ( 5 meals/day) is recommended to keep sugar levels constant.
Recipe for Diabetic Indians:
13/11/2015 by Dr.
- Methi (fenugreek) seeds (one teaspoon full) soaked overnight in 100 ml of water and consuming it first thing in the morning, is very effective in controlling diabetes.
- About six almonds soaked overnight and consumed in the morning keeps diabetes in check
Tomato juice with salt and pepper taken on empty stomach in the morning also helps control sugar levels.
- Fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables are recommended against dry fruits. The diet plan should include 3 vegetables and 2 fruits and some nuts every day.
Study says, the smell of lavender relaxes your mind and releives you from stress and induces sleep better. You can use lavender oil on a cotton swab and gently inhale at bedtime, if you have trouble sleeping.Category: Endocrine System14/10/2015 by Dr.
Touching stimulates the release of endorphins which are powerful natural pain killers.Category: Endocrine System30/04/2015 by Dr.
Quit smoking if you are a diabetic, as it is known to increase the risk of developing diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage).Category: Endocrine System28/04/2015 by Dr.
Foods that May Help Ease Hyperthyroidism Symptoms :
Iodine rich foods
Hydrogenated vegetable oils
AlcoholCategory: Endocrine System31/01/2015 by Dr.
Polydipsia is caused by both diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.Category: Endocrine System01/11/2014 by Dr.
Excessive thirst might be due to hypoglycemia.Category: Endocrine System01/11/2014 by Dr.
Urticaria in hypothyroid patient on thyroxine indicates excess dosage.Category: Endocrine System01/11/2014 by Dr.
Uncontrolled hypoglycemia may be due to liver disease.Category: Endocrine System01/11/2014 by Dr.
Intention tremor might be due to hyperthyroidism.Category: Endocrine System01/11/2014 by Dr.