The one goal that helps you achieve every other goal is the HEALTH Goal! Being well and feeling well is an integral part of life. If you don’t feel well physically or mentally, there’s hardly anything you can achieve. So working on them should be your top priority.
Soon we have to bid good bye to 2015 and get ready to turn the new page. It’s time to reflect on the year gone by, your accomplishments and failures. The key to achieving anything, is setting goals; not simply goals but SMART Goals, be it professional or personal.
SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Bound) goals help you be focused and realistic in setting your goals. It is important to carefully think through, on what you want to achieve and how you will achieve them. If goal setting is one part of it, what goals to set, is another question you must ask yourself.
Well, the ONE goal that helps you achieve every other goal and that applies to everyone, young or old, man or woman is HEALTH Goals.
Here are top 10 goals to help you live healthy, so that you are fit enough to attain your other goals:
1. Physical activity keeps you fit and active
- Any form of physical activity, be it walking, jogging, cycling, yoga etc. must be done for atleast an hour, five or six days a week.
- Doing strengthening exercises at least two or more times a week, strengthens bones and muscles and helps maintain lean body weight.
2. Ensure you rest well
- A good 7 to 8 hours of sleep daily is important for your organs to perform at its optimum.
- Taking time to relax in the form of meditation and recreation helps the mind to rejuvenate and stay alert and sharp.
3. Eat plant-based food is healthy
- At least 3-4 servings of vegetables and fruits every day is recommended
- Cut down red meat, high cholesterol and fatty foods.
- Proteins are the building blocks of the body. Soy, peas, nuts and beans contain high amounts of plant protein.
4. Include diet containing good sources of fiber
- Whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal are good sources of fiber
- Cut down refined cereals such as white rice, white bread, foods made from refined flour (maida), cakes and pastries or sugary cereals.
5. Choose healthy oils and fats
- Unhydrogenated vegetable oils and trans fat free foods. Avoid eating solid fats such as butter, dalda. Eat foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, mono-unsaturated fats (olive oil, canola oil, peanuts, cashews) and poly-unsaturated fats (corn oil, safflower oil, salmon fish, flax oil, sesame seeds, walnuts and soy oil).
- Snack on nuts instead of fried and fatty cakes and pastries. Eat atleast 2 tablespoons of peanuts, almonds, walnuts.
6. Maintain healthy BMI and waist girth
- A BMI less than 25 is ideal. A BMI of 30 or above indicates obesity and high risk.
- A waist girth less than 37 inches for men and less than 32 inches for women is ideal.
- A waist girth of 40+ inches indicates high risk for men and 35+ inches is high risk for women.
7. Avoid tobacco, illicit drugs, or alcohol. Get rid of dependencies on them.
- Thousands die early death due to alcoholism
- Smoking kills. Millions die untimely death every year due to smoking
- Drug abuse is destructive to physical and mental health
8. Keep a positive, cheerful, outlook towards life. It adds years to your lifespan.
- Stay hopeful and see the positive side of life. Try to be happy, and spread cheer and hope to those around you.
- Don’t let stress overtake you. If you feel depressed for a long period of time, seek help.
- Work on building relationships that stand by you in difficult times. Camaraderie and friendship fills your heart with love and acceptance.
9. Get a health checkup done
Everybody above 30 years needs a health checkup. Though it seems you are healthy and fit, family history of ailments (like diabetes, thyroid, hypertension) coupled with irregular lifestyle can silently take a toll on you, over time. A health checkup helps early detection of the onset of diseases and helps you take prevent them.
10. Work on your spiritual health
- Find a quiet uninterrupted time every day to pray, meditate, read and seek spiritual renewal. Fill your heart with gratitude, let go of painful thoughts and practice forgiveness. Help those in need, service to the deprived helps get over challenges and difficulties of life.
Make a pledge: My health is my top most priority. I will not let anything come in the way of taking care of my health.28/12/2015 by Dr.
To have a flatter stomach is everyone's dream. Following simple tips with commitment helps this happen steadily and surely with time.
Here are some tips:
1) Water: Drink water before and after every meal and through the day. When you drink water before the meal, it stops you from overeating, and drinking after the meal aids in digestion and bio- chemical break down of the food. Water is the center of our life. Water not only clears your system of toxins but also aids in digestion. It helps to carry the nutrients to the cells. It keeps us hydrated which also helps to keep our skin soft and supple. It aids in metabolic activity. Good metabolism is essential to keep the body and you healthy and active. It also regulates the body temperature to keep you comfortable.
2) Meal ahead of bed time: Eat 3-4 hours before going to bed. Eat light dinner helps simply because it is easy on the digestive system when your body is resting. As part of a healthy diet and weight loss program, when you stop eating close to bed time, it can help you reach your goal. If you eat a heavy meal just before going to bed the possibility of it sitting in your tummy is more and puts stress on the digestive system and disturbs your metabolism and your sleep.
3) Do about 100 ab crunches every day: Abdomen crunches helps to tone the flab around your tummy. It helps in staying flexible and keeps you fit. Traditional crunches and sit-ups help tone your abdomen and stabilize your core. Practicing other exercises makes it simpler to do your ab-crunches. It helps to burn the fat and reduce the flab, thereby tightening the tummy area, making you look slimmer and in shape.
4) Avoid sugar, food made from refined flour: Sugar and refined flour are enemies of weight loss program. They add bad carbs to your diet, which are normally the culprits for weight gain and obesity. Sugar has empty calories that turns into fat, if not burned with exercises. Refined flour and sugar are refined carbohydrates that are not useful to the body, as the original natural elements such as fiber, healthy oils, vitamins, and minerals are lost during the refining process. Eg. breads, crackers, pastries, baked goods, pastas, cereals, ice cream, chocolates, pizza, sandwiches, fast foods and snack foods of all types.
On the other hand complex carbohydrates are rich in fiber and take longer to digest, such as fresh vegetables, beans peas and whole grains like oats, rye barley, brown rice and whole wheat. So eat more of these to help in weight loss and flatter tummy.
5) Eat fist size food every hour - Eating five to seven small meals a day helps speed up your metabolism, improves energy levels and prevents muscle loss. Eating every two hours keeps your metabolism high and your insulin levels stable. Every meal should contain a portion of lean protein. Protein helps to preserve muscle mass and keeps your appetite at bay. It is essential to consume fruits and vegetables daily to ensure you are getting enough fiber for a healthy colon and your daily vitamins and minerals. Nuts like almonds, walnuts, peanuts and seeds like flax seeds, sunflower seeds must be a part of your diet.05/12/2015 by Dr.
Drink glass of water before eating
Eat 5 small meals a day at regular intervals
Do cardio exercises for 20 minutes, 5 times in a week
Maintain good posture, it strengthens tummy muscles
Cut down sweets and junk food
Do push-ups and sit-ups
Cut down alcohol and salt intakeCategory: Others08/05/2015 by Dr.
BoxingCategory: Others02/05/2015 by Dr.
Sugar free chewing gum
Wheat germ oil
Melon02/05/2015 by Dr.
Regular breast massages
Estrogen rich foods like soy foods, vegetables, fruits, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, egg legumes etc.
Bust increasing exercises
Arm swinging exercises
Foods rich in amino acids and vitaminsCategory: Others20/02/2015 by Dr.
Brussels sproutsCategory: Others30/01/2015 by Dr.
malaise is a general feeling of unwell and is an indicator of illness.Category: Others01/11/2014 by Dr.
Regular practice of yoga in pregnancy helps in increasing chances for normal delivery and that too with minimum pain. Yoga increase flexibility and helps to stay relaxed.Category: Others22/09/2014 by Dr.