A host of parties are lined up for Christmas and year-end? Love to look your best and grab that second look for your radiant looking skin? But, worried you can’t, because of the wrinkles and dull skin?
Well, it’s not all that difficult to reduce those creases, fine lines and spots on your face, if you know your skin better and the causes that deters it from looking its best.
What are the causes for the wrinkles, pigmentation and spots?
The wrinkles, creases and ridges on the skin appear naturally with age as the outer layer skin called epidermis loses its collagen. Collagen and sebaceous glands play an important role in keeping the skin soft and supple. The sebaceous glands produce less sebum with age and make the skin dry and wrinkled. The sweat glands also become less active and decrease sweating reducing the moisture of the skin.
Dry and less elastic skin leads to loosening and sagging of the skin. While aging is one of the reasons of wrinkling, other factors that age the skin are rapid weight loss, poor diet, exposure to sun, environmental pollution, stress, certain drugs and genetic predisposition.
Aging brings hormonal changes in the body that brings changes to the skin and other organs. However, age related skin problems can be addressed to an extent with diet and nutrition and external care of the skin.
What can you do to bring back that radiance? It has to be addressed both internally and externally. Externally you need skin applications and maintenance.
Tips for external applications for wrinkle free, spotless skin:
- Aloe Vera and vitamin E capsule content mixture can be applied on the face in the wrinkled areas for 30 minutes and washed with lukewarm water. This will iron out the wrinkles if used regularly.
- Fenugreek Leaves Paste: A paste of the ground fenugreek leaves can be applied overnight on the face and washed with warm water the next day morning.
- A cooling cucumber face mask applied for 10-15 minutes can reduce the weary look
- Rub almond or coconut oil mixed before going to bed to enhance the moisture and remove fine lines
- Make it a habit to apply aloe gel especially after exposure to sun
- A mixture of half tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of rose water can be applied on the dry parts of the face and neck to hydrate it externally.
- Regular massage of olive oil helps remove the wrinkles
- Lemon or orange juice rubbed on the facial skin helps to eliminate wrinkles and blemishes over a period of time. Rub it in and leave it for 10-15 mins, 2-3 times a day.
- Apply a paste of pineapple and olive oil for 20-30 minutes and rinse it to remove lines and blemishes.
- Egg white with honey, coconut or olive oil with raw milk mixed well , can be applied and left for 20 minutes to get relief from wrinkles.
To remove pigmentation and spots:
- To lighten the dark spots use basil leaves with water and apply it on those areas every night.
- Mashed Papaya or banana rubbed on the dark spots of the skin helps lighten the spots. Both are nutrient rich fruits with vitamins and antioxidants that will add a healthy look to the skin
- Rubbing freshly ground pure turmeric with sesame seed powder eliminates dead cells and the spots.
- Almond powder with fresh cream applied on the skin for 15 minutes and rinsed with tepid water, brings glow to the skin.
22/12/2015 by Dr.
- Eat plenty of greens, veggies and fruits for nutrition and healthy skin
- Drink 1-2 liters of water every day to keep your skin hydrated and remove toxins from the system
- Eliminate chemicals, artificial flavors, dyes, and preservatives from your diet
- Eat fish often to replenish your system with omega 3 fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins which acts like a tonic to the skin.
Athlete's Foot is one of the common Fungal infections that affect in damp or wet environments. Treating or removing fungal infections is quite difficult. Prevention is the best medicine for fungal infections.
Here are simple steps to avoid fungal infections or effectively deal with it if you are already affected:
Keep Your Feet Dry
As Athlete's foot thrives in damp or wet environments, keep your feet dry:
- If you are at home, you can go barefoot to keep your feet cool and dry, unless others at home do not have it
- Wear clean socks and keep it dry and not sweaty and wet.
- Dry your feet thoroughly after washing.
Wear the right foot wear
Select footwear that is comfortable and keeps your feet dry and clean.
- Don't share shoes with others who might have athlete's foot.
- Keep an extra pair of shoes to circulate it
- Buy shoe that allows airflow reach your feet to keep it dry.
- Use talcum powder in your shoes to help deal with moisture.
Never walk barefoot in public places:
- Wear sandals or flip flops if you have to shower in public places
- Foot wear must be on in fitness centers
- Wearing water shoes helps if you are at a public pool.
Take care of your feet
14/12/2015 by Dr.
- Use anti-fungal powders to help your feet stay cool and stop athlete's foot.
- Talcum powder helps absorb sweat and keeps the feet dry.
Dandruff is a common scalp condition that most people get affected with atleast once in their life time. While it may not be a serious condition for most of us lasting only a few days, for some it can be serious when associated with skin disorders like eczema, spsoriasis or sebhorrheic dermatitis. Anybody can be affected by dandruff but certain factors make you susceptible.
Factors for Dandruff are:
- Age: normally dandruff occurs in young adults and continues up to middle age though older people may also be prone to it depending on various conditions.
- Diet: Poor diet lacking in B vitamins or zinc can also increase the chances of dandruff.
- Illnesses: Poor immune system, Parkinson’s disease, HIV, high stress conditions are some of the factors that can lead to dandruff.
- Oily scalp: Often excessively oiled hair and scalp may lead to dandruff due to
- Males : are more prone to dandruff, because of larger oil glands present in the scalp. Researcher also think it could be because of their hormones.
Before we see the tips to protect you from Dandruff, read what causes it, so that you can prevent them.
Causes of Dandruff are:
- Dry skin: The most common cause of dandruff is dry skin. Those who normally suffer from dry body skin also have a dry flaky scalp that causes dandruff.
- Oily skin (seborrheic dermatitis): Greasy, red and irritating skin with flaky yellow or white scales is often the cause of dandruff. Seborrhoeic dermatitis is an inflammatory skin disorder affecting the regions where the sebaceous glands are most active such as scalp, face, chest, nose sides, perineal and torso areas.
- Other skin conditions: Sometimes skin conditions such as psoriasis with red scaly patches which are either localized or spread all over the body including the scalp also cause dandruff.
- Sensitivity to hair care products (contact dermatitis) – Often subjecting your scalp to chemicals from hair care products such as hair dye, styling products or shampooing often can lead to dandruff leading to itchy dry and scaly scalp.
When to see a doctor?
If over the counter anti-dandruff shampoos don’t help and you have an persistent itchy feeling for several weeks, you must see a doctor for medical advice. Doctors can identify immediately by looking at your scalp if you have any other skin condition that resembles dandruff like seborrheic dermatitis.
10 Tips to Prevent Dandruff:
07/12/2015 by Dr.
- Dandruff is contagious, therefore do not share combs.
- Eat vitamin B rich foods like whole grains, egg yolk, nuts and cauliflower. Biotin supplements are also helpful.
- Cut down oily food, carbonated drinks and alcohol. Food rich in Omega 6 fatty acids curbs the development of dandruff.
- Badly maintained hair, unclean scalp and improper nourishment, aid growth of dandruff. Wash hair with medicated or herbal shampoo.
- Egg-based shampoo helps to overcome excess flaking.
- Pat your hair dry after washing hair, as moisture serves to breed dandruff.
- A paste of fenugreek applied to scalp helps overcome dandruff
- Using water boiled with neem leaves for washing hair helps fight dandruff.
- Application of cider vinegar to the scalp one hour after hair wash helps.
- Add 4-5 drops of tea oil to your shampoo for washing your scalp. Also, Flax seed oil or vitamin E oil combined with egg based shampoo to wash hair, helps to ease off dandruff.
Several burn injuries and fire cracker accidents occur every year during Diwali festival and doctors have a word of caution to observe as a preventive measure. Follow the tips to prevent burn injuries:
10/11/2015 by Dr.
- Do not burn crackers keeping them in your hand
- Do not attempt to relight crackers which often lead to accidents
- Children should be supervised while burning crackers
- Don’t get too close to the crackers while burning them
- Small crackers cause mild burns to the eyelashes or eyelids
- Crackers such as rockets can cause serious damage to the cornea including injury to the optic nerve
- Make sure you wear cotton clothes
- Keep first aid ready at home
To get relief from Acne, mix a small amount of tooth paste and salt and apply on the afffected areas to reduce acne, pimple marks and dark spots.Category: Skin13/08/2015 by Dr.
Itching may happen due to several reasons, like allergy, infection, dryness of skin or any other underlying condition, but local application of the following, help for generalized itching.
Local application of:
08/07/2015 by Dr.
- Non-iodized kosher salt
- Baking soda
- Extra virgin coconut oil
BerriesCategory: Skin22/05/2015 by Dr.
Breast skin is very sensitive when it is exposed to excessive sunlight it loses its elasticity leading to breast sagging.Category: Skin15/05/2015 by Dr.
Apply moisturizer everyday to keep the skin hydrated
Exfoliate the skin with a scrub at least twice a week which keeps skin radiant
Use retinoid-based creams can provide anti ageing benefitsCategory: Skin07/05/2015 by Dr.
Rubbing the face with the inside of ripe banana peel, 2 to 3 times in a day, makes it acne-free with a clear skin.Category: Skin07/05/2015 by Dr.