Acidity is a feeling of burning sensation with or without pain in the stomach or abdomen typically after meals or while lying down in the night. When there is excess production of hydrochloric acid by the gastric glands of the stomach it leads to heartburn and ulcers. It is commonly seen among highly emotional and nervous individuals.
It typically occurs:
- When you starve or eat in long intervals
- If you eat very spicy food
- With regular use of Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Non-vegetarian diet (fatty and spicy)
- With regular intake of alcohol
- After meals and at night while lying down
Natural tips to prevent acidity:
- Half a gram of pepper powder with one spoon of honey – twice a day is an effective remedy for gastritis.
- Have lemon juice to relieve vomiting sensation and bloating.
- Ash gourd (boiled) with jaggary relieves bloating and burning sensation in stomach
- Chew half a teaspoon of fennel seeds after food
- A pinch of asafoetida, turmeric added to half glass of buttermilk, and half tea-spoon of fenugreek taken at night, helps gastritis.
- Half tea-spoon of cumin seeds boiled with one liter of water for two minutes, filter and drink this water instead of plane water.
- Suck a piece of jaggary after meals to prevent acidity
- Have powdered clove and cardamom (one each) after every meal to prevent acidity and also bad breath.