Are you still a beginner in the world of yoga, and you want to get comfortable here in order to improve your body, maintain health at the proper level, and also begin to develop spiritual principles of being? Then you should start practicing yoga at home in order to understand and feel all the pros and cons of this path and choose acceptable sets of exercises for yourself so as not to be disappointed at the very beginning.
Here we will look at the world of yoga, analyze 10 simple and effective asanas for beginners. I think it will be interesting. Then let’s go!
Yoga, what is it, and why is it popular?
Yoga is a passive sport that develops the elasticity of ligaments, strengthens muscles, increases strength, and establishes emotional balance. It can help, with due perseverance and constancy, not only improve a person’s condition, strengthen his physical health, but also purify his soul, relieve nervous tension, relax. In addition, it is also a deep philosophical teaching about human life, which can only be understood by practicing yoga.
To get the desired result from such classes, you need to practice yoga regularly, give it 15 – 30 minutes at first every other day and gradually move on to daily practices.
Of course, yoga at home requires, first of all, good motivation and desire not to give up these practices at the very beginning. And in the future, when performing complex asanas, theoretical knowledge in human anatomy and physiology. Yoga has many supporters in the world and is very popular. Relatively long yoga classes will greatly contribute to rethinking your life, principles, habits, views on certain things. It will be possible to learn to control yourself and your actions, get rid of everything negative and bad, let only positive and peace into life.
Rules and contraindications for yoga
Yoga makes you get rid of bad thoughts, concentrate on calmness, silence and comfort. In order to practice these practices at home in a favorable and safe way, you need to know about some rules and always follow them:
- All asanas are performed at a slow pace, trying to maintain balance and concentration, make smooth movements. At this time, the body should be stable, holding at one point;
- It is important to put the right technique and bring it to perfection. It is possible to perform asanas with incomplete amplitude in order to gradually prepare joints, ligaments and muscles for such a load;
- When training at home, it is advisable to take care of the presence of silence in the room. Any extraneous sounds will disturb the peace of mind and will not make yoga more productive;
- In between asanas, it is important to learn how to relax the muscles, they should not be clamped. You also need to monitor your breathing by performing several quiet cycles that will still help restore your heartbeat.;
- The lesson should start with a good mood, directing the flow of thoughts to the fact that you will succeed;
- At the initial stages, each pose should be repeated 3-4 times. In the future, after studying all the features of the technique, the amount can be increased, but gradually, without creating much discomfort for the body.
Having familiarized with the basic rules of yoga at home, it is necessary to remember about the presence of certain contraindications for training, which can harm the body and psyche if they are neglected. Such restrictions for yoga are:
Serious mental disorders, in particular, schizophrenia;
- Oncological diseases;
- Postoperative period;
- The presence of an inguinal hernia;
- Six months, a year, after a stroke, depending on how you feel;
- Heart disease, a heart attack.
- Increased body temperature.
In the presence of the above diseases and conditions, yoga practice should be abandoned, choosing for yourself a more gentle type of physical activity. If you ignore these warnings, you may encounter unforeseen consequences. In any case, if you have a strong desire to study, you should consult a doctor.
Yoga at home, what is needed for this?
To practice yoga in your home or apartment, you need:
- Choose a clean, cozy and ventilated room. In a private house in the summer, classes should be held outside.
- When there is an opportunity, it is necessary to train in one corner of the house. It is advisable to allocate such a place for yourself, and regularly go to it for inspiration and emotional relaxation. It’s just that over time the body will develop a conditioned reaction to classes in this place.
- During the performance of asanas, there should be no annoying sounds nearby, so you should turn off the TV, phone, and remove pets for 20 minutes.
- For emotional relaxation, you can use any instrumental music, it can be the sounds of nature, the sound of mantras or others that are more suitable for you.
- You need to practice only in sports clothes, home pajamas and other similar things from the wardrobe will be inappropriate.
- Be sure to buy a yoga or gymnastics mat.
- Yoga exercises are very desirable to perform on an empty stomach, it is best to do it early in the morning, before breakfast. If training in the morning is extremely difficult for you and does not cause much desire, you can do it in the afternoon or in the evening, but 2-3 hours after eating.
- Before training, it is advisable to do a warm-up, warm up the muscles, or, for example, take a warm or contrast shower.
- Ideally, you need to train every other day for 15-20 minutes, increasing the time to 30 minutes of regular training and switching to daily classes. Thus, you will feel the desired results, which will give you confidence and motivate you to continue practicing.
If you follow these recommendations, then the first changes in the physical and spiritual state will not take long to wait, they will be noticeable already in the first month.
10 simple asanas for beginners
As already mentioned, the first workouts are slow and they should be simple. And now we will get acquainted with 10 simple asanas that are very useful for a beginner.
You need to stand up straight, look forward, hands at your sides, legs closed. When inhaling, the hands rise up, the palms touch each other. The arms stretch upwards as much as possible, the spine straightens, as if stretched. On exhalation, we return to the starting position. Attention is concentrated on the fingers. The correct position increases the tone of the body, strengthens the muscles, prevents the occurrence of diseases of the respiratory system.
The starting position of the first exercise. The crown stretches upwards, the back is flat. There is no need to strain too much, it is important, on the contrary, to feel maximum relaxation and stand in this position for a longer time. We concentrate on breathing, making a long exhalation and a deep breath. The exercise helps to tone the muscular corset, learn to feel your body, forms the correct posture position.
3. Chaturanga dandasana
We accept the initial position of the “Bar”. When inhaling, you need to lower yourself onto your bent arms as low as possible, and fix this position for some time that is comfortable for you. After that, on the exhale, return to the initial position. We breathe smoothly, without sudden movements. Performing the asana quickly helps to prevent depression, removes lethargy, relieves fatigue.
We sit on the buttocks, with straight legs, and an even back. A deep breath – the hands rise up. Then a gradual exhalation – bend down and lower your hands to your feet, lingering in this position for up to 30 seconds. The palms should touch the toes, and the forehead should touch the knees. It is important to control the position of the back, it should be straight. Asana improves blood supply, increases the flexibility of the spine, improves digestion, reduces high blood pressure.
Stand up straight, inhale and exhale, lean forward, touching the floor with your palms. When performing, it is important to monitor the knees, it is forbidden to bend them. If the stretching of the ligaments is still insufficient, then initially the knees can be bent a little, gradually coming to the desired result. We stay in this position for a few seconds and return to the starting position, take a breath. You need to breathe smoothly, without holding your breath. This asana eliminates kidney pain, promotes the development of back and leg muscles. It also helps to prevent stomach diseases and chronic constipation.
6. Ardha mukha padmasana
The starting position is sitting, bend the knees. One leg bent at the knee, the heel is placed on the opposite thigh. The knee of the bent leg is pulled aside as much as possible and held in this position for up to 30 seconds. This pose is also called a half-lotus. Then we repeat this on the other leg. Breathing during the performance is calm, without jerks and delays. This asana calms the mind, increases the mobility of the ankles, helps to facilitate childbirth for pregnant women, relieves nervous tension.
7. Ananda balasana
Lie on your back, lift your hips and press them to your stomach, clasping your feet with your palms, knees apart. In this position, you need to relax and hold out for up to a minute. Then lower the hips to the floor, rest for up to 30 seconds and repeat the exercise again. We breathe evenly, without holding our breath. This position of the body helps to improve mobility in the joints, strengthen sleep, learn to relax, relieves muscle spasms in the neck and lower back.
8. Ardha matsyendrasana
We sit down on the mat, stretch our legs straight. Then bend the right leg and place it near the crotch. We transfer the straight left leg, under the knee of the bent leg. It is necessary to twist the body from the waist, staying as long as possible in this position. Then repeat the same on the other leg. When twisting, exhale air. When returning back, we inhale. We try to concentrate in the pelvic area. Asana has a positive effect on the work of the shoulder joints, prevents an increase in the bladder, calms the nervous system, strengthens the neck muscles.
You need to sit down, resting the toes of your toes on the floor, placing emphasis with your palms, align your legs (take the plank pose). Inhale – the right leg bends at the knee, is placed in front of the entire foot, the gaze is directed upwards. In this position, you need to stay up to 5 seconds. On exhalation, we return to the original pose. We do the same on the other leg. This asana develops all muscles, improves the condition of joints, normalizes blood circulation, reduces high blood pressure.
10. Virabhadrasana 2
This pose is often called the warrior pose, and it helps to stretch both sides of the body at once. It is necessary to take this position on exhalation, after which, when straightening, stay in this position for about a minute. Breathe evenly and deeply. Repeat the turn in the other direction. With regular exercises, this asana strengthens the quadriceps and calf muscles, as well as tones the remaining muscles of the legs and shoulder girdle.
Yoga classes at home, is there any benefit here?
Yoga classes bring undoubted benefits to the body, develop endurance, improve the functioning of the nervous system. Experts recommend home workouts, because they help to focus on yourself, eliminate annoying factors, focus only on personal feelings.
During group classes, a person may be shy, feel insecure, constrained, especially at first, So the benefits of such classes will most likely not be very much if a person fails to overcome inner stiffness.
Having familiarized with all the features of yoga, having studied its technique, it will be possible to note for yourself the following positive changes in the body:
- Improved sleep.
- A charge of vivacity and energy for the whole day.
- Acceleration of recovery after physical activity.
- Getting rid of negative emotions.
- Maintaining a fresh mind.
- Improving joint health.
- Prevention of diseases such as autoimmune disorders, heart diseases and others.
- Increasing self-confidence.
The first changes will be noticeable after a week of regular training. You will be able to observe the charge of strength and energy even at the end of the day. Sleep will stabilize, insomnia will cease to torment.
Yoga at home for beginners is available to every person who has no visible contraindications to its classes. Initially, 3-4 workouts a week are enough to notice the first changes not only in emotional, but also in physical health.
Therefore, if you want to have good health and lead an active life, yoga classes are the best way to contribute to this!